Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pregnant brain

Pregnant brain. I had never heard the term before being pregnant. But I was clued into what it was and the very real effects fairly early on.

It all started one day when I was at work and 2 separate times one day I walked down the hall to the bathroom and as I locked the door behind me, I realized I had unbuttoned my shirt on the way there. One of those times, I had already started taking my shirt off. Apparently I thought things were going to get pretty messy in there? Good thing it is a private bathroom or that could've been incredibly embarrassing.

Naturally, I was concerned, so I emailed a couple friends and they diagnosed me. Because I wasn't even out of my first trimester at that point, I knew I was in for a long ride.

While my foray into office disrobing was certainly the most unusual example of pregnant brain, it goes much farther than that. Everything from forgetting to put stamps on mail and putting canned goods in the refridgerator to not feeding my dogs and wearing clothes inside out.

This phenomenon might be the most frustrating part about being pregnant. Is it really fair to add a handicap to one of the few parts of the human body that isn't physically affected during pregnancy? Simply stated....no. But apparently the dreaded pee pants syndrome isn't quite enough for the pregnancy gods.

So here it is. 30 years old and I'm now a note-leaver and list-maker. Jane Swenson always told me it would happen. I never believed her. It's gone so far now that I even carry around a pen/book to make lists with on the go. Give me a few months and I'll be putting my keys and phone in a bag instead of carrying them in my pocket and getting up before the sun comes up.

My, my.....how time flies. What came first....getting old or getting pregnant? I'm not sure about that, but it is definitely here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

settlement loans