Wednesday, February 25, 2015

You CAN handle the truth!

We've reached a stage where Lindsay wants to break rules, lie and omit, but just can't seem to do it. Either her conscience is catching up with her or she's just really not grasping the concept. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I actually WANT her to lie to us, but the way she doesn't lie right now is hilarious.

A couple weeks ago she walked up to Kevin, out of the blue, and said, "There's something I'm not going to tell you." After he asked what it was she said, "We were playing with something we aren't supposed to." Good cover, kid.

A few nights ago she discovered the deliciousness that is Starburst jellybeans. She had some before bed and then came out of her room a little while later for another handful. (Ignore that we gave her candy before bed and again when she came out of her room. Parents of the year.) The next morning when she woke up she told me that she was planning on sneaking out for more jellybeans once I went to sleep, but she had sadly fallen asleep herself.

That last one is a truly remarkable confession. I mean, there was literally no chance I'd ever know she was planning to deceive me. And even dumber, she ruined her chances at pulling off said deception the next night.

I'm not so much worried about her inability to break rules without confession (or even think about breaking rules without confession), but I think the skill of omission can be a very valuable one. That very much needs to get figured out. Although I suppose we probably still have time for that. For now I guess I can just pretend that she'll always feel the need to tell the truth and confess....until the day she sneaks our car for a joyride when we aren't home. (I don't have any idea who would do something like that. Most definitely not me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

settlement loans