Sunday, May 16, 2010

I thought teething was about teeth

Teething...seems pretty self-explanatory, right? Baby gets teeth. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Actually getting the teeth is the least memorable part of the experience....and when I say memorable, I don't mean it in a good way.

Yes, Lindsay has teeth. But the 2 weeks it took to get them was a remarkable journey. Our sweet, little, perfect baby turned into a whiny, sick, oozing monster.

The first clue that something was up is that she became incredibly needy. Once able to self-entertain for quite awhile, the second we set her down, she starts screaming and giving us a look like we killed her puppy. Here's where I'd normally insert photographic evidence, but the look breaks us down so fast that we could never actually get a picture of it. It's impossible to not pick her up immediately. She wins this battle everytime. We are suckers.

The next clue was a slight fever...and now we can see the teeth trying to push through. Fever = bad. Not necessarily for any reason other than a fever means no daycare. No daycare means no work. No work means no money. So now the teeth are hitting the pocketbook and they aren't even through the skin yet. I thought that at least wouldn't start until a trip to the dentist was in order.

Finally, the most bizarre symptom of teething...diarrhea. Serious diarrhea. And this one makes no sense to me. How a couple teeth pushing through the skin in her mouth could cause diarrhea, I have no idea. But it happened. A lot. And in disgusting fashion. Three separate times during a 2-day period, this was our reality...

Check out all the poop in the water...we aren't talking about just a little mess here. These were two-step baths. Rinse the poop off, drain the water and then fill up the bath with more water and give an actual bath. Absolutely disgusting. I'm just amazed we were lucky enough that it happened somewhere with a bath each time. What would I have done if we were at a restaurant or something?

If you look very closely at this picture, you'll see what all that fuss was about...two little teeth poking through on the bottom of her mouth. Yep...only two teeth that are only about 1cm big thus far. How many teeth do kids get again? Because I think I might ship her off during those couple weeks each time another set starts sprouting.


2 comments:

  1. It will all be worth it when you're in first grade or so and they start falling out, still one of my favorite memories of Farida when she got it out. - Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, this is the funniest blog ever! I will first thank you for warning me (as I am sure this time is coming shortly for us!) and second of all laugh my face off! I am already dreading the day this happens, and knowing my luck I will be out shopping, probably in Bismarck only a good 60 miles from home, and have to go through the car wash with Kynlee strapped to the hood to rinse her off. I am sure child protective services will meet me at the car wash exit with handcuffs! Wish me luck! But I do thank you for the insight! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

settlement loans