Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pregnancy....

..."isn't that bad." I've had quite a few moms tell me this in the past 4-5 months. And despite me having what could only be considered a very easy pregnancy, I'm here to tell you that is a flat-out lie. Pregnancy is that bad. I hate to complain since I have had an easy pregnancy, but all the limitations, changes in the body and general, overall tiredness (combined with the inability to actually sleep soundly) is that bad.

I'm certain part of the reason moms say pregnancy isn't that bad is because afterwards you have the most amazing addition to your life you'd ever know, but I'm a big proponent of realism and I don't like the lies people are telling me.

With all that said, I feel like I must be doing a fairly decent job of keeping my thoughts about it to myself because I overheard my better half telling someone on the phone the other day "I haven't heard much complaining, so she seems to be feeling pretty good." I'll wear that like a badge of honor.

However, that was followed up a couple days later with the following conversation -- so I'll reserve ultimate determination of Kevin's real thoughts on this process until closer to the due date:

Kevin (from the other side of the room): "Whatcha eating?"
Mary: "Ice cream."
Kevin (in an apparent commentary on my eating habits of late): "Sounds pretty good.....I hope our baby isn't made of ice cream when it comes out."
Mary: "What's that supposed to mean?"
Kevin (in a nervous laugh): "Nothing...I didn't mean...nothing. Nothing. That's not what I meant."
Mary (in a slightly agitated voice): "Next time you are pregnant you can decide what to eat. Until then, I'll make that decision for myself."

Hmmmm....maybe I should complain more. That felt pretty good. Especially since I was eating ice cream through the whole conversation. I almost licked the bowl out afterwards to prove a point, but I thought that would be taking it a little too far.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, Mary, that's too funny! But yes let it out... but not too harshly, you'll do enough of that when you're in labor lol :) And you are completely correct we probably say it's not that bad because babies are the absolute best gift from God we could ever ask for! So, Congrats, take care, and I wish you two the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary...

    thanks for sharing your thoughts...your conversation with your hubby about the ice cream made me laugh a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Kevin... wait till the mood swings kick in. Mood swings not so much as lack of sleep/comfort. For me the first 8 months went fast it was the eternal 9th month that got me. The person that said you'll forget the pain after the baby is born lied... I am also a realist. Ohhh it's not that bad... haha. congrats and keep blogging it is fun to read. Kevin may have to start a blog for therapy/venting... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this point I am not sure who I should feel sorry for! July will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Mary, the slow kid just found the email in our (me and Pete's) shared email account today announcing your blog creation. I think it is great. And just for the record, complain alot. I know you only have +/- 3 months left, but it is bad and it will continue to get worse by the day and Kevin did do this to you so make him feel REALLY bad. Don't hold back. They don't understand and they can NEVER imagine what it is like to go from an active do it yourselfer to someone who feels like the bottom is going to fall out when you try to slide the couch across the floor to vacuum under it. It is miserable and as you know, the Best boys weren't exactly gifted with silver tongues or comforting approaches to aid in easing the misery... I think the ice cream episode was REALLY funny. Vawnita

    ReplyDelete

 

settlement loans